I think trying is a big part of it, I think thinking is a big part of it, and I think wanting is a big part of it, but saying it is difficult, and I find saying trying and nearly always wanting. I want what I want to say to go without saying. Martin Creed
At its core, my practice is about close reading. Through this close reading, I investigate the process through which texts emerge and how, through language, as code, pass out of themselves. Texts are interfaces for meaning. In my work, language is a text. I am interested in the agency of hyper-texts as individual objects of desire and in turn, revulsion.
I use generic materials associated with physical texts: literature, slogans, books, type, liquid paper and label-makers. These inclusive materials deny any sort of individual authorship. I try to remove myself from the work. The processes I use are not unique or special, they are standardized, mathematic, mechanical. The problem with this, like the problem of language, is that everything speaks of itself through denial. The denial of authorship underscores the overwhelming desire for authority. Desire and revulsion.
No comments:
Post a Comment